Saturday, July 10, 2010

GARDEN KEEPS ME BUSY

Guess what I've been doing? Picking, shelling, cutting up, freezing, pickling, and canning. We have truly been blessed with a beautiful garden this year. I've canned tomatoes, canned salsa, green beans, peas,okra, green tomatoes, pepper sauce, and pickles. My fingers were so tired last night from shelling peas, but these are my favorite thing to eat so I didn't complain too much.

I tried a new recipe from another blog for canning salsa. It took quite some time cutting up peppers, onions, and chopping the tomatoes with the other spices but it really is good. I think it's worth the trouble. I might even attempt to make another making later on if my tomatoes continue to produce. If you've never tried canning okra it is so worth it. I used to try freezing it to fry later but never really liked the way it tasted or looked. Once I started canning the okra I have fried okra throughout the winter months and it is 'almost' as good as fresh from the garden. Gardening is hard but something I enjoy so much.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh Sue! Those green beans and salsa sure wouldn't last long around here!
Great job...
Have a lovely afternoon! Kimberly

Dana~HomespunTreasures said...

Hi Sue,
I just found your blog and I really have enjoyed reading it and would LOVE to add your blog to my blogger dashboard and become a follower. But I noticed you only have a network for facebook to join. I'm not on face book is there another way I can sign up to be a follower? Please just email me and let me know (dmharpley@aol.com) Thank you so much.

Blessings,
Dana

Dana~HomespunTreasures said...

Hi Sue,
I'm so embarrassed I figured it out. I'm so used to blogs having their followers on the side board. But I noticed at the very top there is a place you can click on to follow through blogger. I should have looked around a bit first. Boy am I enjoying your blog!!! I would LOVE to learn how to can I've just always been so nervous to try. Have a GREAT weekend!!!

Blessings,
Dana
www.homespuntreasures.net

Hairstyles 2014 said...

Nice blog :)Thanks for interesting articles!