Friday, February 19, 2010

THIS IS IT!!

I have been searching for a homemade bread recipe that tastes like one I had years ago and I finally found it!!! THIS IS IT!!! I remember buying this bread from a sweet lady who sold it for missions at her church. I'll admit that I have tried numerous recipes and none have come close. However, this past week I found a recipe while reading a blog that I enjoy. You must go to The Maddox Family blog and you'll be a regular visitor. I saw her original post earlier in the week and didn't quite understand so I left her a comment with a question. She did another post to make sure those like me had the directions down pat. I will give you the recipe, but when you visit her you will see pictures of each step. I promise you will love it. I have made 6 loaves (since Wednesday) and only given away 3 of them. Add it up.....that means we have 3 for my husband and myself!! I'll also give you the recipe for some DELICIOUS Honey Butter that you will love.


This is a slice of hot bread with the honey butter on it. Oh, my goodness.....THIS IS THE ONE!!!
Mrs. Linda's Bread Recipe:
Starter: 2 cups warm water, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 1/4 tsp. yeast, 3 Tbl. instant potato flakes (not flavored). Put in quart mason jar with little holes in the lid and let stand in a warm place for 8 hrs.
Dough: 6 cups bread flour, 1 Tbl. salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1 1/2 cups warm water, 1 1/2 cups starter. Mix and cover with a towel to rise for 6 - 8 hrs.
Punch bread down and divide into 3 greased bread pans. Let rise 6 - 8 hrs.
Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. DELICIOUS!!!!
By the way....it's ok if you go over the 8 hrs. by a little. I let mine rise for about 9 and it was fine.
HONEY CINNAMON BUTTER
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (more if you like)
Combine and beat until light and fluffy. I leave mine out in a covered container so it will be soft.

8 comments:

Janene said...

Oh Sue...This sounds heavenly!
Bread is one of my addictions, and this should do me just fine.
Thank you for sharing.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Darlene said...

I've never tried to make homemade bread but I sure do LOVE to eat it. Maybe it is better that I DON'T make it.....lol.

Oh, and cinnamon honey butter is my favorite!!!♥

Sharon said...

Thanks Sue!!! And I'm going to visit the Maddox Family blog to see those pictures. I've found a couple of blogs that have wonderful bread making recipes and directions. You might want to check them, too. Jamie Cooks It UP and Farmgirl Fare. You know what I'm doing tomorrow!
Sharon

Taz + Belly said...

Don't you love Abby's blog?? I found it almost a year ago and love looking at her curly haired girls. I've been toying around with the idea of making that bread :). Glad to know it was so yummy!

Jessica said...

I want to try this bread and the butter too. Thanks for posting about it! I think I am now a Maddox Family blog fan. ;)

aims said...

Ohhh, wow! This is one I must try, Sue! I've been making homemade bread a lot this winter -- it's addictive!.

Lorrie said...

I just love homemade bread Sue--making it, smelling the delicious baking smell, and then eating it all up. This sounds similar to a sourdough recipe I've made and love. Isn't it great when you find a recipe that's a winner?

Robin Beck said...

Your bread looks like it turned out amazing.
I can't eat flour but sure would love to smell that bread baking.

Robin~♥