Friday, November 7, 2008

MY MAKEOVER

I have had this cabinet in my bathroom for some time holding towels and it has served its purpose well. The thought came to me that if it didn't have the glass in the front, and was black, it could be used in my den as a prim cabinet. I wanted to do this project myself because it's always better to ask forgiveness than permission, BUT I needed help in replacing the glass panels. I had mentioned it to my son-in-law but he was busy on another job (and I am very impatient) so last week I brought the cabinet downstairs and started removing the glass. My DH came in and asked what I was doing. I told him my plans. We had some beadboad scraps left from other projects and he got right on replacing the glass with the beadboad.
The cabinet was painted black and sprayed with a satin coat of finish (I know it looks shiny here but it's my poor skill in making pictures). I wanted to distress it but the white underneath would not allow this. I still am VERY pleased with the results. It has two shelves inside if I want to put things on the shelves.
I put the shelf that I had finished awhile back on it. If you remember....I had it sitting on an old record player and it looked ok, but I never was completely satisfied. We have moved that to another spot. I love my new "prim look" cabinet!
I'm off today to Christmas Village. It's a HUGE show that I look forward to each year. I'll be posting about that later.








20 comments:

Janene said...

Sue~
That looks fantastic!
They look like they were meant to go together.
You, and your husband, did a very good job.
I need to find something like that. I'm heading to goodwill later today. You never know what you will find!
Have a great weekend!
~Janene

Shannon said...

Your cabinet looks amazing!! I love it with the hutch on top!

Hope you find your missing tub in the attic! :) I hate it when that happens.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

It looked great all by itself but with the other shelf on top = it makes such a statement! Wonderful make over!!

Darlene said...

Hi Sue,

Your cabinet looks FABULOUS...you did a great job on it....especially with that hutch on the top!

julie & joe said...

That looks great! What a wonderful way to re-use something you have.

basketsnprims said...

Sue ~ I just love it. You and your husband did an excellent job. I can't wait to see it decked out for Christmas.

Pam

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

It looks great! In fact, it looks like the shelf came with the cabinet! Great job!

Have fun at the Christmas show!

Cassie Fields said...

pat yourself on the back, it looks fantastic! the add on the top makes the piece....

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Sue,

I LOVE that makeover! How clever of you! I'm so glad that you thought of that. I think it look like it was meant to be! I love when you can repurpose things like that! Here's a pat on the back for you and your hubby for a fantastic job!

Have fun at The Christmas Village! And...have a great weekend!

Tammy

Robin Beck said...

Wow Sue, It turned out so nice!
Have fun at your craft show...Can't wait to see the post about it~♥

Picket said...

It turned out beautiful Sue! I loved that gorgeous tree in the other post...only a few of our trees have started turning their colors...our big bradford pears are still full and green with just a touch of burgandy! lol But my dogwoods are beautiful! Have a great time at the Christmas show...can't wait to see what you find!

Sharon said...

WOW! That cabinet and hutch really look great. You are so clever! I hear Christmas Village is wonderful this year. Enjoy.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Wonderful idea and it looks so prim I'm sure you are so happy with how it turned out:)
Have a great weekend.
Rondell

Lorrie said...

Hi Sue, That turned out really well, you did a terrific job- I know that you'll enjoy it a lot. Hope you had fun at Christmas Village.

Sandy said...

Your cabinet turned out great! It is always fun when we can re-do something that we have hanging around the house.

Sandy

Terry said...

It looks fantastic Sue! It looks like it belongs together.
Terry

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

The cabinet looked nice in white, but it's even better in black!

{lauren} said...

Your cabinet looks awesome...and the hutch on top makes it look all the better! Hope you had fun at your Christmas show:) <3Lauren

aims said...

Oh my goodness! That looks awesome! I wish I had the ability to see the things that I could do with things that I already have and make something totally brand-new out of it like that. And I love the black against the color of paint you have on your walls. My kitchen is close to that color. I think black and white photos also really stand out with that shade of paint behind them. Thanks for sharing this idea with us.

Nancy Rosalina said...

Oh, I love your cabinet! Great job!Nancy