Thursday, September 17, 2009

FRIED PIES

We love fried pies at our house. I don't make them often and I really don't know why other than it takes forever to cook the dried fruit. Last summer my friend and I dried apples and I have several bags in my freezer. The other day my neighbor told me that he'd love to have a fried apple pie. I came right home and started cooking those apples. This neighbor will help me do anything....if I have a project going on I am quick to ask for his help so making fried pies was no problem for me! Back to the apples....when you add the water to the dried apples they swell up and the longest part is cooking down the apples. The picture above shows them after they have been cooked down and sugar added. (I don't know why the first two pictures are turned sideways). I use canned biscuits for my dough....just roll them out flat... and they taste just as good as my mother's did. If you'll notice they are frying in her black iron skillet. I use it for so many things.
Here's the pies all ready to eat....ok...some have already been eaten. I still have some cooked apples so I believe I better fry up another batch this weekend. The pies sure don't last long around here.




7 comments:

April said...

My granny used to make fried pies (apple and chocolate) all the time and they were delicious! I never thought about making them with canned biscuits...great idea, Sue!

Janene said...

Sue~Those look absolutely D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! I am definately going to add this to my recipe file!
Thank you for the idea!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Darlene said...

Those look DELICIOUS! We used to have a fried pie place in town and they were so good. Might have to try and make them!!

parledge said...

M-m-m so good I know! Do you put a pinch of cinnamon in?

Angie said...

My two favorite types of foods together - sweet and bread! Looks so delish!!!

Lorrie said...

Sue I've never had these. They look like a wonderful treat. I know your neighbor was thrilled to get them Sue.

aims said...

Oh, yum! I love fried pies! I'll use the biscuit dough next time I make some - sounds like a perfect recipe for Stephen to help with!