Thursday, September 3, 2009

KEEPING ME BUSY

I haven't posted in quite some time....I've been trying to keep up with you by reading though....so I thought I 'd give you an idea of one of the reasons I have neglected my posting. Between working, getting my pool finished, and canning I have been so busy. You may think I'm crazy, but I really enjoy the canning and freezing of vegetables. Guess it goes back to my childhood. I watched my mother and aunts as this was such a part of their lives each year. After I married, I would have days that my sweet mother-in-law and I would can soup,peas,butterbeans, and corn. Oh, the memories. The top picture is pear preserves. My husband helped me peel these Tuesday night and I "sugared" them down good so all I had to do was cook them real good yesterday morning. We love a hot, buttered biscuit with pear preserves....so good!Tomatoes! I use canned tomatoes in so many ways during the year. Soups, spaghetti, chili, stewed.... in fact, they are so good, I could almost open a jar and eat them like that. I know that it's easy to buy tomatoes at the store, but they just don't taste the same to me.
I do enjoy the fruits of my labor. The vegetables are almost gone for this year, but we'll be able to enjoy them throughout the winter from the freezer and jars!


9 comments:

Robin Beck said...

This post brings back great memories of my Mom canning everything when I was young. I can hear the "pop" of the lids sealing as I was reading your wonderful post! :)

Canning to me is such an art! So beautiful!

Robin~♥

basketsnprims said...

I love to can, too, Sue. Love looking at the jars all lined up hearing that pop,pop as they seal. Our garden did not do well this year.
Pam

April said...

My granny in Arkansas used to can all the time...that's one reason I enjoyed visiting her so much!

Darlene said...

I wish I lived closer so I could come and "learn" to can with you. They always look so pretty lined up waiting to be opened and enjoyed.

Zaroga said...

I've been busy with pears :-) I wish we had enough tomatoes to can.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm with you Sue - I love canning. I don't have access to much but when I do I grab the pressure cooker! blessings, marlene

BS HONEY said...

I love canning also. I learned the art from my sweet mama. This is my second summer without her and I think that with each pop of a lid I missed her more.
Do you ever make tomato gravy to go with those hot biscuits? It is delicious, especially when served over rice.
Love your blog. Have a great weekend.

Zaroga said...

Sue, I made pear relish years ago. I think I used the one in the Ball canning book. I loved it with green beans.

Diana Ferguson said...

A lady after my own heart! Isn't it fun to see all the goodies lined up after all the hard work?

Stop in for a piece of cake (actually a cake recipe). Would love to stay in touch.