Sunday, December 28, 2008

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPE


One of the dishes I served at the Brunch yesterday was a Breakfast Casserole and had many of the ladies request the recipe. I told them I would post it on my blog. I have made several different breakfast casseroles over the years but this has to be my favorite. It is easy to make and you can make it the night before and refrigerate. All you have to do is bake it the next morning. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Breakfast Casserole
2 lbs. pork sausage
1 (2 lb) bag frozen has brown potatoes
1 c minced onions (optional---I don't use)
2 cups milk
2 (8 oz) pkg. Shredded Colby-Jack cheese, divided
Salt (about a tsp.)
6 eggs, slightly beaten
Spray 9 X 13 glass baking dish. In skillet, brown the sausage; drain. (I rinse with water in a colander). In large bowl, combine sausage, hash browns, onion ( if used), milk, 3 cups cheese, salt, & eggs. Mix well and pour in the greased baking dish. Top with remaining cheese, but wait until the last 15 minutes of baking to do this. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Heat oven to 350. Bake uncovered until knife inserted near center comes out clean (50-55 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
I'm off to begin taking down Christmas trees. It's not nearly as much fun taking them down as it is putting them up!!

20 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've made this one but without the potatoes - delicious! blessings, marlene

the said...

I make this one too. Its a must have family favorite around here!!!

Lorrie said...

Sue this sounds delicious and I definitely want to try it! Thanks for posting the recipe.

I'm right with you about taking down Christmas trees--not fun the way putting them up is.

Terry said...

I've never tried this one, but it sounds delicious Sue. I copied it down. Thanks!
I usually wait to take down my tree on New Years Day, and I hate every minute of it. haha!

Terry

Amy said...

This is mos'def. my FAVORITE breakfast casserole in the world! It doesn't taste too "eggy" which is a miracle considering how many eggs it has. This is too yummy!

grammy said...

Hi, i am out visiting tonight. that recipe looks yummy. like your blog too (o:

Darlene said...

I LOVE breakfast casseroles and this one looks YUMMY!

Georgia Girl said...

Yep...I love this also...I make this from time to time...yummy!

MyDearClementine said...

ha, i think i've ate this before! you made it for the christmas sunday school party last year. DELICIOUSO!!!

Picket said...

Morning Sue! Ohhhh I could sure eat some of that casserole right now! lol I love that! I am so glad you liked the Lane cake...I had my one little piece the morning after Christmas (man they are getting to where the piece they save me gets smaller & smaller each year! lol) But oh it was glorious! lol

It has been a great year..even though we have had some losses with the deaths of my cousins..God has given me a double blessing of joy with our new additions to the family..I can't wait to see what this New year will bring..

thanks for coming by dear friend...I am so grateful to have met you this year sweet Sue...I look forward to sharing many a happy post with you here in blogland..take care and Happy New year to you & yours!!!! ♥

Zaroga said...

I'll have to try this recipe. Thank you for posting it.

I have only a wreath to put away :-) or is it :-(

Zaroga

Tammy Lynn said...

Sue, Thank You for sharing your recipe. I really enjoyed it at the bruch Saturday morning. I can't wait to make it for Sam. He loves breakfast and I know he will love it to.

I hope you have agreat day and week and try to enjoy taking down your tree. Yes you are right it is not as much fun taking down as going up.

Happy New Year...
The Lynn's

akawest said...

Mmmmm, I make that breakfast casserole, too. I agree, it is yummy.

Sharon said...

Boy, that looks goooood! And you're right, not nearly as much fun to take down the trees and decorations as it was to put it up. I'd just as soon leave it all up year round. Have a great week and new year! S.

April said...

Hi Sue,

I've been looking for a good breakfast casserole, so you came to my rescue. Sounds delicious! I'll definitely have to give it a try!

aims said...

Yum! I've had one similar to this. This one looks even better. I'll try it with the potatoes next time.

Have a Happy And Blessed New Year!!!

Mama said...

yummmmy! I'll be right over!

Thanks for dropping by my site. I hope you'll come again soon.

Cheryl said...

I have made this it is sooo good. I also add diced red peppers and green peppers to mine and just a tad of red pepper. Happy New Years!
Peace and Blessings
Cheryl..Snatch JOY!

Cheryl said...

I have made this it is sooo good. I also add diced red peppers and green peppers to mine and just a tad of red pepper. Happy New Years!
Peace and Blessings
Cheryl..Snatch JOY

rick said...

I love to cook and this breakfast casserole looks good. Can't wait to try it.