Sunday, August 10, 2008

READY FOR FALL

The cooler nights and early mornings have made me wish for fall. I know that we still have at least another month of really hot weather here, but it doesn't hurt me to start thinking about it. I love fall....the leaves as they change colors are absolutely beautiful. Mums in various colors with pumpkins decorate the yards and of course the cotton fields are white! I will have pictures for you when that happens. I still am amazed at the cars that will pull off the highway to make pictures of the white fields of cotton (things we take for granted). School buses will pass my house bringing classes on a field trip to the Pumpkin Patch and Old Baker's Farm. That's another thing that I take for granted....my children grew up here and saw cotton, corn, hay, barns, and animals every day. Those living in the city aren't given those opportunities so they must pay to visit! I'm glad there is a farm here that offers this to children so they can see first hand what living on a farm was like. If you live close to the Birmingham, AL area and have not visited the Old Baker Farm, you should do so. This year is a special year. Mr. Earl celebrates his 100th birthday. The Cotton Picking Celebration (with arts & crafts) will be October 25th & 26th. It will be quite a celebration. I hope to see you there myself.

1 comment:

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Oh, I love fall too! And yes, we ahve a wait before we can actually feel it down here. I am about 3 hours further south than you. Fall is my favorite time of the year! Who knows, maybe we will attend that festival too.